This post is part of our Battle of the Brands feature. Let us know which brand you prefer, and check out other Battle of the Brands posts.
CVS Caremark Corp (NYSE: CVS) -- with 6,200 stores and a pharmacy benefits management division -- beats Walgreen Co. (NYSE: WAG) -- with 5,997 stores -- hands down in the battle of the brands. It's bigger, its earnings are growing faster, it has a higher P/E and its stock has grown faster over the last year and five years. Walgreen wins on one measure: it has a fatter profit margin.
Here's how the two score on these measures:
- Revenues. $76 billion (CVS) beats $54 billion (Walgreens)
- Earnings growth. 12% (CVS) beats 6% (Walgreens)
- Profit margins. 3.8% (Walgreens) beats 3.45% (CVS)
- P/E. 21.3 (CVS) beats 17 (Walgreens)
- One year stock performance.+16% (CVS) beats -22% (Walgreens)
- Five year stock performance. +250% (CVS) beats +16% (Walgreens)
Vote in our poll for CVS or Walgreens as your preferred brand, and let us know in the comments why you love it.