Apr 5th 2011 6:41AM C'mon Sheldon,
First off, I'll give you that the bottom 15% of anything is weaker that the remaining 85%. That's true regardless of size or topic.
Next stopping or re-starting a NBA franchise (or MLB or NFL, or NHL) is not as easy as changing the style of the Ford 150. If nothing else the Owner of the franchise needs to convince the city to buy him an arena. That takes time.
Damn Yankees was filmed in the mid-1950s; so we've had complaints about overly winning teams for a while.
Mr. Lindblad is right too. When ball players get contracts for $100 million plus per year & people complain that teachers make too much at $40,000/yr.; something is desperately wrong.
Mar 23rd 2011 6:12AM The lack of a dividend has kept this one off my "must buy" list.
Mar 15th 2011 11:13AM I'm not sure the results of these few days should be used as an indication of anything. My "quote" page has so much red it looks like May Day in Moscow.
Mar 2nd 2011 6:15PM Gee Mr. Lindblad,
That's a pretty definitive statement.
Isn't there insurance covering the default possibility? I seem to remember some radio ads for the company. So how would that play out?
Feb 9th 2011 5:41AM Nathan,
It's none of my business, but find a nice girl to fall in love with, & keep your heart & your wallet separate.
Steve's comments about DIS having a solid run up after a long series of less than stellar months are valid. DIS may be due for a breathing space. But if you're successfully trading the stock, you know the risks better than I.
Feb 3rd 2011 6:03AM Please accept my congratulations on Disney being north of $40? It's been a long road.
You like YUM over MCD? Or are you hinting that the whole "meat" thing will blow over & this is a good time to buy on bad news?
Jan 1st 2011 7:50AM Steve,
We've had the discussion about the relative stresses of making vs. showing movies. I've stood for the proposition that one gets fewer grey hairs by inventing in theaters where one doesn't have to worry about the success of any particular movie, Jonah Hex anyone?
Equally, I'm convinced that the "theater experience" will still be valuable even in the face of downloading or home viewing.
With IMAX yesterday, the rumors were flying early & the stock opened near $32. But within about 30 minutes it was down under $30 & bounced between there & $31 until about 1:30 when it dropped to under $28 & hung about there to the end of the day. You're right, it was a "day trader's" shorting dream. I'm no day trader & am still holding my few shares, though had I known in advance, I'd probably have cashed out half my stake. Yes, closing up 4.5% is cool but pales when compared to the 15.6% earlier.
What worries me more about IMAX is that its' Directors seem to be cashing out stock options that they received for $2.87 & selling the underlying stock for a significant profit. Mr. Keighley may need $115,000 in cash right now, but I'd like to ask him why he's selling the stock, in essence betting that the stock will not appreciate beyond the $26 he received.
Dec 29th 2010 6:27AM Steve,
I don't mean to be difficult, but if you were looking for a tax loss, shouldn't you be happy that the stock dropped as far as it did? I mean a drop of only a few cents wouldn't do much at tax time.
I apologize for any hand I might have had in urging you to buy GE. I'm sorry you lost money on the deal.
Dec 22nd 2010 6:24PM A little worried that TLSYY has made one dividend payment according to the list. But I'll look more closely tonight.
Best Holiday wishes to you, Mr. Lindblad, & al coholic (if you ever hear from him, give him my best).
Dec 20th 2010 5:19AM Just saw the morning figures about $43m total but over $12.6g per screen!